Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A little reminder...

Children Learn What They Live

If a child lives with criticism,
He learns to condemn.

If a child lives with hostility,
He learns to fight.

If a child lives with ridicule,
He learns to be shy.

If a child lives with shame,
He learns to feel guilty.

If a child lives with tolerance,
He learns to be patient.

If a child lives with encouragement,
He learns confidence.

If a child lives with praise,
He learns to appreciate.

If a child lives with fairness,
He learns justice.

If a child lives with security,
He learns to have faith.

If a child lives with approval,
He learns to like himself.

If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,
He learns to find love in the world.

1972. Dorothy Law Nolte

One of my very favorite poems...moves me every time.

   
I need reminders sometimes...

I clean my house, watch TV, surf the net, make food, and talk on the phone...
sometimes I do these things and forget that I brought this beautiful child into the world and I am the person responsible for showing him what life is all about...

I want him to explore nature...to see the beauty in little things...to shut off the TV...to play more games...
to have a huge imagination...that it is a good thing to not always get his way...to have responsibility...to show kindness to others...to laugh more...to be good...

& believe me...he is a good little boy...kind, generous, loving, smart, empathetic, & a great listener

I think we are doing a pretty good job...:)
It's kind of amazing how much they teach you too...he is sooo smart...& so good.
He teaches me everyday...
I am a blessed woman.

But, I need to remember to slow down...to make more time...for just him...
because in an instant. time will pass me by. 
 

1 comment:

  1. So true! It goes so fast- or I should say "THEY" grow so fast. I love the poem. I have heard it before but it is a good reminder. I used to be a TV junkie- but now it only goes on after the kiddos are in bed- and we read- build towers- and make things (usually messy). I think the only time the house is clean is after I put the kids down and before they wake up in the morning.
    You are an amazing mama! Don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back now and then!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails