Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Searching...

I have always loved children...
love talking to them...playing with them...listening to them tell stories...
or just sitting back and watching them learn...
I am not very creative...or always know what to do...
which gets me frustrated...
because I want so desperately to fill my life with helping children that need it...

I've looked into Fostering...
but, my husband (the realistic one)...
is just not totally on board...(I can't say I blame him)...
he reminds me of all the things that I don't see when on a mission...
money...time...me getting upset...or totally consumed and stressed out...
the effects it might have on Ethan...him...me...

He knows I want to "Save the World" (his words)...
but, I sometimes don't think things through...and then I realize it is not exactly what I wanted...
or needed...or am able to fulfill...

I am always in search of "my fit"...
what am I "meant to do" with my life...
I went back to school for my Early Elementary Ed degree...
and ended up hitting a couple roadblocks...
I waited it out to see if they were bumps...or a stop sign...
I realized recently that it is a stop sign...

So...what next?
I am looking for a sign...a reason...something to hit me and say...
THIS is what you are supposed to do...



I recently found something called CASA...
which stands for Court Appointed Special Advocates.
You are basically a volunteer for children...

Exactly what does a CASA volunteer do?

CASA volunteers are appointed by judges to advocate for the best interests of abused and neglected children in court and other settings. The primary responsibilities of a CASA volunteer are to:

Gather information: Review documents and records, interview the children, family members and professionals in their lives.

Document findings: Provide written reports at court hearings.

Appear in court: Advocate for the child's best interests and provide testimony when necessary.

Explain what is going on: Help the child understand the court proceedings.

"Be the glue": Seek cooperative solutions among individuals and organizations involved in the children's lives. As one volunteer said: Be the glue that connects the pieces in a complicated child welfare system.

Recommend services: Ensure that the children and their family are receiving appropriate services and advocate for those that are not immediately available. Bring concerns about the child's health, education, mental health, etc. to the appropriate professionals.

Monitor case plans and court orders: Check to see that plans are being followed and mandated review hearings are being held.

Keep the court informed: Update the court on developments with agencies and family members. Ensure that appropriate motions are filed on behalf of the child so the court knows about any changes in the child's situation.

I don't know...do I have the time...the energy...the knowledge...the heart...

I will keep searching...and waiting...and looking...
meanwhile...I just might have to look into this...

3 comments:

  1. Hope you find that which you are searching for... Advocates are so wonderful- but know that it is A LOT mentally- I think that the hardest part of teaching is knowing what goes on in some homes (and reporting it often to CPS) and having to send them home anyway... it can be depressing when you know that children aren't being treated as they should-
    Hoping you get your answers soon!!!
    Hugs-
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand well the challenge of trying to figure out what your next move will be when the circumstances are complicated. Just know you are not alone. I do believe these challenging times are meant to make us stronger, but also to force us to leave our comfort zones and really question our assumptions. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura...you are right...I just don't know if I could not take that home with me...I am a pretty emotional person...
    & thank you Jaimie...I do believe that God will show me my way...xoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails